Topic: Not so random random()

Suppose that you wrote a polymorphic engine and implemented as many different encryption operations as you can, when your virus reaches the AV lab and tested with some kind of automation to check what it is fit for. And finally a record in the av database which will cover all possible outputs of the PE without even touching the PE code. What about the following trick - one could skew the probabilities for different PE features. Instead of choosing randomly between, say, ADD, SUB, XOR, one could make the following - choose ADD or SUB with probability close to 0.5, with 1/1000 choose XOR. This will increase the chances that AVer would miss some features of the PE (because it is very rare at occurence). This could be done with simple wrapper for random:

int prandom(int count, ...)
{
        uint32_t a[count], i, r, m, s, w;

va_list ap;
        va_start(ap, count);

for (s = 0, i = 0; i < count; i++) {
                a[i] = va_arg(ap, uint32_t);
                s += a[i];
        }
        r = random();
        m = RAND_MAX / s;
        for (w = 0, i = 0; i < count; i++)
                if (r < (w += a[i] * m))
                        return i;

va_end(ap);
        return count - 1;
}

So, the recurrent calls to prandom(5,  5, 10, 15, 20, 50) would produce something like:
4 1 4 4 4 4 1 4 3 4 2 4 3 2 4 3 3 4 0 1 ...
With probabilities (on a large series) are very close to the specified weights.
0.049480 0.100040 0.150120 0.201060 0.499300

Re: Not so random random()

Interesting idea.
For understanding the quality of this, one should know more precisely how such automatic tests happen. Do you have some references for that? Do you really think that in AV labs, a polymorphic encrypter will just be analysed by automats?

But however, it may be interesting to use non-uniform/normal distributed probabilities for different encryption methods. Especiall when you couple it with multi-encryption like

49.99% SUB
49.99% XOR
00.01% ADD
00.01% ROL

-> 99.98% SUB+XOR, 0.005% XOR/SUB+ADD/ROL and 0.0001% ADD/+ROL.

But as stated above, I doubt that complex malware will be analysed by automatons only - and a human can see that different approach for probability-distribution in the source immediatly.

Have a nice day,
SPTH

Re: Not so random random()

SPTH wrote:

Interesting idea.
For understanding the quality of this, one should know more precisely how such automatic tests happen. Do you have some references for that? Do you really think that in AV labs, a polymorphic encrypter will just be analysed by automats?

I've heard that such automation is used. May be on simple semi-polymorphic or olygomorphic engines. Even if the engine would be analyzed by human, this trick could leave an impression that the low-probability feature is buggy or a dead-code, because it would not be seen in output (if the number of samples is not large enough for it to appear). Anyway, human will check his gueses on how the engine works with its output and will check the detection routine against the same output. So here is a little (but non-zero) chance to fool an analyst and evade the detection.