Topic: A Few Questions Pertaining to the VX Scene

Greetings,

I won't re-iterate the question about whether the VX Scene is "dead".  I've been paying enough attention to realize that almost everyone is gone except for a few people who still lurk here.  Undernet is dead and only the dedicated seem to remain here on vxheaven.  What i'm curious about is why.  Why is the scene dead?  I'm an old person, i've been around now for a very long time.  When I was younger the VX scene was often full of the best and brightest minds I ever encountered.  They were also generally decent people, I learned a lot from the early VX scene.  Between the VX scene and the early Demo scene that's where I learned to first program. 

here are my few questions:
Why is it dead?
Do you just lack time?
Is it that there are better uses for your skills?
How can we resurrect the scene as an institution of learning and mind expansion?

Eternally your friend,

0x44,0x4D
  smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: A Few Questions Pertaining to the VX Scene

In my opinion, its just a lack of focus. If you're stuck with a computer which has no internet connection and barely any software, chances are you're going to mess with it, learn every little function of it, and probably stumble onto programming as well.

People don't get that anymore because they just use their computers as Facebook machines and tools to access YouTube and do a bit of paperwork. No one explores the actual computer anymore, they're too interested in what their friends are saying about them and how many likes they got on their latest picture on Instagram.

My crime is that of outsmarting you, something you will never forgive me for.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I agree with weebz..

A fresh breed of virus writers would have to also be exploit writers, the both combined are rare and often work for the gov or so. It's not as easy as it used to be. The only interesting viruses we see now and then are made by people paid to make them. What we here call a talented virus writer hasn't so much as bypassed the UAC with their creations.

eval(join$",qw/perl " ( print another Just ; girl )/[qw/3 2 1 5 4 0 7 1 8 6/]);

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh wow.  I agree with weebz there is no incentive to learn the machine.  Even the kids i taught in the late 90s had more focus than today's kids.  But yet I still come across a few who are hungry for knowledge.  I wonder what can be done to attract them back to the scene.  Also I had thought that maybe social media was really poison for productivity.  It's easier to hang out on twitter and chit-chat about nothing than to stick your head in a debugger.

Slek, i had noticed that some of what we've seen in like recent years with exploitation frameworks like MSF like for example they seem to think they invented code polymorphish when we had that AGES ago.  It makes me wonder why they ripped just specific things like that for exploitation but didn't weaponize file infection as a vector beyond code cave hiding some shellcode.  Furhermore why are all internet worms since Slammer just lame or even non-existent...  I really had high hopes for self-replicating shellcode as a concept.  I wonder if it's money.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

yeah, i also agree with that... we still are on #virus (come visit us!) after all these years.. finding time to focus on a virus project is hard, usually im busy with work, have no free time at all mostly.. but it's something i regret not focusing more when i was younger and had time

"There is no spoon." - http://guitmz.com/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a matter of building up the hype-train. VX has been under the radar, although once in a blue moon a gov supported malware reaches headlines.
Younger generations aren't reading old zines, they're seeing the latest trends, like game development, unless they go down the rabbit hole to find sites like this one. Lots of stuff to be discovered and pioneered. Not enough peeps being exposed to the awesome community and programmers. VX needs fancy talks at cons like DEFCON or something to gain back it's popularity.   *shrugs*

I don't know much about technology anymore.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

uncledamfee wrote:

It's a matter of building up the hype-train. VX has been under the radar, although once in a blue moon a gov supported malware reaches headlines.
Younger generations aren't reading old zines, they're seeing the latest trends, like game development, unless they go down the rabbit hole to find sites like this one. Lots of stuff to be discovered and pioneered. Not enough peeps being exposed to the awesome community and programmers. VX needs fancy talks at cons like DEFCON or something to gain back it's popularity.   *shrugs*

it's unfortunate it's come to that.  i like being underground.  i've been to defcon only twice  and never fealt comfortable there.  it seemed largely pointless at it's size and i couldn't figure out what people got out of it except an excuse to drink and not actually hack anything.  that's ok though; in some ways i feel like VX is sort of the last bastion of taking shit seriously.  i did notice that the anti-malware crews seem to be in full force.  i find that an interesting phenomenon.  i guess it appeals to people who want to spend lots of time reverse engineering things w/ little to no risk to them.  i suppose research like that is always attractive for those reasons.  I just don't now that it is pushing any envelopes... any of it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

guitmz wrote:

yeah, i also agree with that... we still are on #virus (come visit us!) after all these years.. finding time to focus on a virus project is hard, usually im busy with work, have no free time at all mostly.. but it's something i regret not focusing more when i was younger and had time

interesting last time i was there #virus was empty.  i'm assuming it's still undernet.  i will join you though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

9 (edited by alcopaul 2017-01-08 02:09:33)

no one programs for ego boosts anymore. all they want is to get the $$.

fuck capitalism.  big_smile

[CQK]
Twitter: @thealcopaul

Thumbs up Thumbs down

alcopaul wrote:

no one programs for ego boosts anymore. all they want is to get the $$.

fuck capitalism.  big_smile

true dat hahaha but we are not like that smile

"There is no spoon." - http://guitmz.com/

Thumbs up Thumbs down