Topic: Noobie wanting to learn the old art of virus writing

Hello, I recently remembered my user name to this site and decided to start going on it and posting more instead of being a dead user like so many others. I have started to teach myself x86 assembly and C, along with GDB and radare2,mainly by writing code in C, disassembling it, and reading the values in assembly. Or by reading out of a book and doing the practice problems. Would there be anything else anyone here would recommend me doing to improve and grow my knowledge of low level concepts and eventually, get into malware development? Thanks in advance, glad to be a part of this forum.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: Noobie wanting to learn the old art of virus writing

Executable file formats.
Looks like you are into linux stuff, so you could try some ELF infection tutorials.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

3 (edited by alcopaul 2017-01-08 02:01:07)

Re: Noobie wanting to learn the old art of virus writing

you're in a good place if you intend to write viruses or others in c or asm. that's the way of getting things done.

but there are other types of virus writers too who are more concerned in academic pursuits or just the fun of it.

non-serious virus writers write in high level compiled or interpreted languages. it's good in a way such that you learn about concepts, discover possibilities of concocting innovative concepts in high level abstraction. you don't always need to know how the pipe works. sometimes you can form new shapes with the pipes by bending them, if you get what i mean.

[CQK]
Twitter: @thealcopaul

Thumbs up Thumbs down