Topic: Wii/Wii U homebrew viral code?

Would Wii and/or Wii U homebrew malicious code be feasible? I know someone found a way to brick the DS family (ALL of the family, 3ds and 2ds included) with a flashcard, but since people share SDs containing homebrew like DOS freeware, it could spread viruses (virii?) like, as stated above, DOS freeware. Would it be possible to infect .DOLs like .EXEs? If so, would it be possible to embed the infection code into a cIOS and infect other .DOLs with it?

I like to examine and theorize about everything, from Amazon's <quote> impenetrable </quote> ultravisor to autorun viruses (virii?) being technology's version of an STD (Slot Transmitted Disease).
I dabble in Python 2.x and non-stereotypical BATCH (x>50 lines). I also fuck up VMs from time to time.

┬──┬ ︵ /(.□. \)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Wii/Wii U homebrew viral code?

Yeniaul wrote:

Would Wii and/or Wii U homebrew malicious code be feasible? I know someone found a way to brick the DS family (ALL of the family, 3ds and 2ds included) with a flashcard, but since people share SDs containing homebrew like DOS freeware, it could spread viruses (virii?) like, as stated above, DOS freeware. Would it be possible to infect .DOLs like .EXEs? If so, would it be possible to embed the infection code into a cIOS and infect other .DOLs with it?

One thing I've learnt from experience is ANY computer can be infected with a virus, its just how it is, so yes a wii could be infected

Thumbs up Thumbs down

kyle wrote:
Yeniaul wrote:

One thing I've learnt from experience is ANY computer can be infected with a virus, its just how it is, so yes a wii could be infected

As the Wii runs a weird, fucked-up version of Linux, maybe it could.

I like to examine and theorize about everything, from Amazon's <quote> impenetrable </quote> ultravisor to autorun viruses (virii?) being technology's version of an STD (Slot Transmitted Disease).
I dabble in Python 2.x and non-stereotypical BATCH (x>50 lines). I also fuck up VMs from time to time.

┬──┬ ︵ /(.□. \)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

4 (edited by zask 2017-01-29 06:24:48)

I used to hack Wii's, it was  fun thing to do after shop channel got discontinued. However I never actually made a hack for a Wii, but I heard it was easy depending of the situation. Idk if you can make a virus but one thing about Wii's is that if you install a new Wii menu to the Wii that isnt compilable with its systems version it can cause the that wii to brick. I'm sure you can create a program to use this as a payload but it may not be an easy thing to do and you would have to look at the sources of specific homebrew software, if i can remember i believe MultiModManager can do the job or any other homebrew software that can be used to change a Wii menu. But as far as
spreading like a real virus I doubt would be possible. There are all sorts of different files like .elf, .wad, possibly xml, etc that just wouldn't work out easily.

Thumbs up Thumbs down